TREE PLANTING PROGRAM
The City of Fennimore has purchased trees to be planted in the tree terrace in residential areas. Through this City cost-shared tree planting program, trees must be planted in the tree terrace, not on private property. The property owner will be required to pay one-half of the cost, approximately $15 to $30 per tree. The trees were purchased in 2016 as bare root and were planted in the City’s tree garden to promote root growth and are now 5-14 feet tall, depending on the variety selected. There are four maple, one honey locust (seedless and thornless) and one elm variety available. Select the Tree Order Form below to see available varieties and pricing information. The City took delivery of the trees in the spring of 2016 and are ready for pickup and planting anytime. Anyone interested in participating can sign up at the city clerk’s office. Trees will be sold on a first-come basis. Any questions can be directed to Dennis Biddick, Director of Public Works.
KEEP GRASS CLIPPINGS OUT OF THE STREET
When mowing your yard, try to minimize the amount of grass clippings blown or dumped in the street. Grass clippings should be left on the lawn after mowing so that the nutrients in the clippings can go back into the soil. One bushel of fresh grass clippings can contain 0.1 lbs of Phosphorus, enough to produce 30 – 50 pounds of algae in our streams and rivers. Grass clippings that are blown or washed into the street enter the street storm inlets, either plugging them or flowing downstream to streams.
Bagged grass clippings may be taken to the City’s Compost site. The compost site only accepts lawn waste such as grass clippings and leaves for composting. There is also a separate brush pile for other yard waste such as tree limbs and shrubs. It would be appreciated if all waste could be emptied from plastic bags. The compost site is located at the intersection of CTH Q and Bronson Blvd. and is open Monday and Thursday evenings from 4-7 pm and on Saturday afternoons from 12-4 pm.
STREET DEPARTMENT INFORMATION
The City of Fennimore Street Department has six full-time employees that work out of the street shop building located at 945 7th Street and can be contacted at 608-822-6017.
Responsibilities of the Street Division:
- Buildings & Grounds – Repair/maintenance of all City-owned buildings and small projects planning and construction.
- Responsible for the repair and maintenance of all Public Works and City equipment including fleet vehicles.
- Street Maintenance – 22 miles of street maintenance, pavement sweeping, snow removal and tree trimming.
- Traffic Signals & Signs – Responsible for the maintenance and repair of traffic signage throughout the City, pavement marking, construction traffic control, and barricading for City projects.
- Garbage & Recycling – Responsible for garbage and recycling collection and operation of the recycling center.
- Park Maintenance – Responsible for maintenance of the four city parks.
- Brush & Compost pickup.